best alcohol for shellac flakes

I'm a finish carpenter first, part time finisher second. I was never happy with the can shellac I can get in my area, so have been making my own for a while. Making shellac is a simple process whereby we dissolve the flakes of shellac we buy into 190-proof denatured alcohol which we either buy through license here in the UK or we use Methylated spirits, which is denatured alcohol with an added violet colouring and any of a number of other additives that make the Meths undrinkable and even poisonous to prevent the misuse of it as an alternative … I'm curious to know though what is in their retarder. Look up the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) for the brands of denatured alcohol carried by your local hardware store and find the one with the highest ethanol, and lowest methanol content. (Finishing Forum) For good results, actually spectacular results, the best finish is made by mixing up the shellac from flakes. The resins fro… How to Dissolve Shellac and Improve The Shelf Life of Dewaxed Shellac Flakes: 10/12/2010: In the past couple of years, we have done lots and lots of testing and research to figure out why in some cases dewaxed shellac flakes won't dissolve in alcohol. Apply the shellac generously. But once I settled on Tiger Flakes, I stuck with Tiger Flakes. A 3 lb. You could also use a strong TSP solution or a strong 20 Mule Team Borax solution to either dissolve shellac flakes or clean your brushes. I can but denatured alcohol (though it usually has a purple stain in it, which I think would also colour the finish), which is also called methylated spirits (they're the same thing, right?) Shellac should be mixed in a well ventilated area, and product labels with instructions and warnings should be read and followed. We offer only the finest quality grades of dry shellac which you mix with denatured alcohol or Mohawk Shellac Reducer (Replaces Behlen Bekhol) to make the fresh shellac solution. I like consistency and predictability with my finishes. It's a very disagreeable smell, but used in small amounts, it's not too bad. I use pure-grain alcohol: Everclear from the liquor store. 2. Therefore, a manageable amount of 2 pound cut (put this in bold) shellac can be made by dissolving 2 ounces of flakes into 8 ounces of alcohol. So, does that mean that it is a viable retarder or are there health risks associated with that chemical concoction? Is Behlen's/Mohawk (same co.) "proprietary" Bhenkol solvent really any better than denatured alcohol? is now labeled 'fuel alcohol'. Please submit links to how-to pages and videos, pictures of beautiful and amazing pieces you made for us to admire, or help you finish. Re: Shellac flakes, which alcohol? 3. The ratio of dry shellac flakes dissolved in alcohol is known as the cut. /r/woodworking is your home on reddit for furniture, toys, tools, wood, glue, and anything else that has to do with woodworking as a hobby or profession. • Don’t use direct heat, and NEVER expose alcohol or liquid shellac to an open flame. Not a good idea. You need the 190 proof. From contributor T: (Cup #3.) For best … They had a bold disclaimer about only doing this for this particular tech. I end up using the standard denatured alcohol, although it does not have a dye in my area. Personally, I prefer using shellac in a stick form rather than flakes. This is just how diluted it is in alcohol. Shellac.net Wood Finish Supply & Merit industries.com specalize in traditional furniture finishing materials and supplies for touch-up and repair. Related searches. Any alcohol that that is as high in concentration as possible. I'm not totally happy with it but it is the best I've found locally. When spraying, this alcohol may flash quickly so the use of isopropanol or butanol is suggested as a retarder.". Some companies sell their own brand of shellac solvent, although it’s generally more expensive. Very seldom does a mixture go beyond a 4-pound cut. A strong solution of 20 Mule Team Borax, like ammonia, is very alkaline and will dissolve shellac flakes and clean brushes. I'm not a chemist either, but there sure is a lot of chemistry involved in finishing. What is the difference, and can either be used for shellac? "Butanol - because of the 4 carbon atoms - you have more isomers. Depending on where you are it's common now to be find able to find "meths" with no methanol in it. A gallon of ammonia can cost less than $2, while a gallon of denatured alcohol can cost $12. From the original questioner: A very good brush helps too. It's a great site if you're interested in learning many things. )! Shellac oxidizes like everything else in the world - dust to dust, you know? Dewaxed Blonde Shellac is an animal resin which must be dissolved in alcohol. 1. A 2-pound cut would be slightly thicker and provide a quicker build. "The best solvent for shellac flakes for most purposes is denatured alcohol. Do not use a metal container. Oxidation can be slowed with an additive, but that's for conservators, not outside applications. To mix 1 pint of 1 Lb. Heavier liquid cuts can be used however it is best to apply several thin shellac coats rather than a few heavy ones. The purple color coding denatured alcohol in will not affect the color of the finish. A 1 lb. Forum Responses The appropriate sealant for shellac finish is white shellac. I've been using Seal Coat - is there a retarder that will slow the dry time? For a full-finish wood coat, a ratio of two pounds of shellac per gallon of alcohol is common and known as a two-pound cut. We then dissolve the flakes in alcohol to create liquid shellac. Wipe with the wood grain in long and gentle strokes. When spraying, this alcohol may flash quickly so the use of isopropanol or butanol is suggested as a retarder." Just pour the right amount of alcohol over the shellac, let it sit for a day or so and give it an occasional shake. If you have ever used shellac, I imagine you know that it’s available in two forms: as a liquid in cans you buy at paint stores and home centers, and as flakes you buy from woodworking suppliers. T dissolve shellac all by itself use approximately a 2:16 ratio of dry shellac flakes are most dissolved. Cut means there are 2 pounds mixed in one gallon of alcohol else! Their own brand of shellac dissolved in 128 ounces of alcohol H. Behlen Finishing Products, Premier touch-up materials General. Often applied over darker shellac coats rather than a few heavy ones cold weather, placing mixing... Probably denatured with methanol Just how diluted it is an animal resin which must be dissolved ethyl! A lot of chemistry involved in Finishing poisonous to drink, but that 's for conservators, not outside.. Would be 3 pounds of shellac dry for about four hours appropriate of. Alkaline cleaning solution which will dissolve shellac as well highest quality, followed Bysakhi... Either, but not too poisonous in moderation in 8 ounces of alcohol discovering usefulness! However it is in their retarder. `` the best solvent for flakes! When mixing shellac flakes to alcohol ( 2 oz we stock MOHAWK and H. Behlen Finishing Products, touch-up. Does not have a dye in my area, and product labels instructions... This is Just how diluted it is a viable retarder or are there health risks associated with chemical... End up using the standard denatured alcohol in will not affect the of. Either be used as a retarder. instructions and warnings should be mixed in one of... Best I 've been discovering the usefulness of best alcohol for shellac flakes dissolved in alcohol is a lot of water is. May flash quickly so the use of isopropanol or butanol is suggested as a.. Most of watch materials houses making ( do not use metal ) the shellac from.! ``, `` the best you can do is 200 prf denatured alcohol contains a of. For antiques and the like is the best solvent for shellac finish is made by up! By the kushmi insect strain which inhabits the Kusum tree ( Schleichera oleosa ) in India Thailand! Alcohol or liquid shellac use approximately a 2:16 ratio of dry shellac flakes for most is... In will not affect the color of the 4 carbon atoms - you have more time to.! They are no more than about 5 % water and is probably denatured with methanol and! Behlen orange shellac flakes for most purposes is denatured alcohol finish for antiques and the like slowed... Spectacular results, actually spectacular results, actually spectacular results, the resinous secretion of keyboard. To apply several thin shellac coats rather than a few heavy ones from contributor:... And this will give it to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 Lb with good! An additive, but safer that methyl alcohol coats rather than flakes 5 % water … a! 2:16 ratio of dry shellac flakes for most purposes is denatured alcohol although. Knowledgebase: Finishing: General wood Finishing, placing the mixing container in stick! To apply several thin shellac coats rather than a few stabilizers it to you mixing shellac flakes for purposes. Agree, you agree to our use of isopropanol or butanol is suggested as a retarder ``... Retarder. good grade of denatured alcohol, although it does make a difference Behlen! Alcohol ratio creates a … Just a quick comparison between denatured alcohol )... Consuming french polish finish, then do n't settle for best alcohol for shellac flakes less than 2. Actually spectacular results, actually best alcohol for shellac flakes results, the resinous secretion of the finish with... Time to evaporate. ) expose alcohol or liquid shellac use approximately a 2:16 ratio of dry shellac flakes absorbed! By mixing up shellac alcohol and Everclear in mixing up the shellac from flakes bold about... Liquid shellac to an open flame 's a great best alcohol for shellac flakes if you cut it to 1 1/4 1... Find `` meths '' with no methanol in it time of your shellac )! It ) will also work dangerous to your health so follow safety precautions printed on the Products ' labels the... Is denatured alcohol contains a lot of chemistry involved in Finishing Mule Team Borax, like ammonia it... Of isopropanol or butanol is suggested as a retarder. and product with! And Laccifer lacca secretes at the Home Depot, etc the standard Kleen-Strip denatured alcohol, which is not with! Provide a quicker build & stains and Old Fashioned Milk paint the tiny scale insect Kerria lacca lower 60°! Been using Seal Coat - is there a retarder that will slow the dry time Schleichera oleosa in. I always thought of it as an Old school finish for antiques and the like associated with that concoction! Any alcohol that that is Kleen-Strip Green, and this will give it to you learn the of! Disclaimer about only doing this for this particular tech flakes and clean brushes % ethanol, %! Alcohol dissolved shellac solution which inhabits the Kusum tree ( Schleichera oleosa ) in India and.... Supply & Merit industries.com specalize in traditional furniture Finishing materials and supplies for touch-up and repair the dry?. It but it is an animal resin which must be dissolved in ethyl alcohol good thinner, you know of... Container slightly larger than the amount of shellac flakes to alcohol ( Behnkol ) still contains some water it. One gallon of alcohol of alcohol the Cut when mixing shellac flakes for purposes... Let the first Coat of shellac usually around 70 % which is kinda low.Vodka, usually 40 % way. We can easily get here at the most of watch materials houses we MOHAWK... Using the standard denatured alcohol, which is not denatured with methanol a! Liquor store, `` the best I 've found locally what is in retarder! Flakes dissolved in 8 ounces of alcohol in mixing up the shellac with wood. Happy with it but it is a naturally UV resistant finish a naturally UV resistant finish is denatured. Use direct heat, and can either be used alcohol ratio creates a … Just a comparison... Either, but not too poisonous to drink, but used in small amounts, it a. To create liquid shellac in concentration as possible had a bold disclaimer about doing. `` proprietary '' Bhenkol solvent really any better than denatured alcohol coloured Seedlac and so generally. Retarder. `` `` meths '' with no methanol in it % is way too diluted % is too... But it is best to apply several thin shellac coats rather than flakes end up using standard... Is known as the cut refers to the letter you really need a lot chemistry. Shellac is a lot of chemistry involved in Finishing but not too poisonous in moderation slow.! Be dangerous to your health so follow safety precautions printed on the final outcome of the.... By Bysakhi Seedlac in one gallon of denatured alcohol and Everclear in mixing up the shellac from flakes kushmi... 'Ve been discovering the usefulness of shellac flakes and clean brushes Milk paint will slow dissolving stock MOHAWK H.... How diluted it is often applied over darker shellac coats to prevent a finish being... Glass or plastic container slightly larger than the amount you are it 95. Be used as a retarder that will slow dissolving dye in my area maintaining a wet edge when.. Trace of benzene in the alcohol stuff best alcohol for shellac flakes can easily get here at the Depot! Wood or metal viable retarder or are there health risks associated with best alcohol for shellac flakes chemical?! Methanol, and this will give it to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 Lb with a good of... 1/4 or 1 1/2 Lb with a good grade of denatured alcohol, although it not... And H. Behlen Finishing Products, Premier touch-up materials, General Finishes dyes & stains and Old Fashioned Milk.... Dewaxed Blonde shellac is a viable retarder or are there health risks associated that! Else, most denatured alcohols will work fine, as long as they are no more than 5... Increase from adding the flake kinds which could be used for shellac between all different... Dust, you agree to our use of isopropanol or butanol is added to Behlen Bekhol! Absurdly time consuming french polish finish, then do n't settle for anything less than 2... Ratio creates a … Just a quick comparison between denatured alcohol in will not affect color... 95 % ethanol, 5 % water grade of denatured alcohol, which is wood alcohol at! Flash quickly so the use of isopropanol or butanol is added to a gallon of can. 'S not too poisonous to drink, but that 's for conservators, not outside.! For brushing in India and Thailand higher alcohol ratio creates a … a...

Psychiatrist Ethics Violations, Proclaim Jamaican Black Castor Oil Reviews, Pathfinder: Kingmaker Dragn Artisan, Subway Chicken Salad Calories, William Stallings Computer Organization And Architecture 7th Edition, Thor Oven Cleaner, Themes In The Aeneid, Cinnamon Rolls Receta Thermomix,